Monday, May 22, 2006

Settling In

Settling in at the House of the Serpent

I left Albert in the stables with Patience and Sox, his new donkey friends, whom I'm sure by now have been thoroughly dazzled by his horsely charm.

I was given directions to my guest cottage, and to my delight I discovered that I had been assigned to a small Japanese house near the back of a well-groomed garden. A bamboo grove separated the house from the rest of the grounds and I felt like I had the place to myself. This would be perfect space to review my cartographical notes and start writing and drawing some new material.

I stepped onto the wooden platform that served as a porch and slid open a paper door. The room was bare except of a simple calligraphy scroll hanging in an alcove alongside a striking flower arrangement of yellow and gold chrysthanthemums. Tatami mats covered the floor and the varnished wooden beams and framing of the house made the room seem warm and inviting.

In the center of the room was a low table surrounded by cushions made of red and blue silk. There was even a bolster to support my lower back-- they think of everything here. I set down my gear and started to unpack.

"Helllllllooooooo there, my deaaaarrrrrr......."

I turned around to see who had greeted me.

"My name is Sylllllllllviaaaaa and I'm here to assssssssissssst you......"

Hanging from one of the beams was the most brilliantly colored snake I've ever seen.


Lori Gloyd (c) May 22, 2006

3 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Oh Lori. This is just wonderful. I love Sssssylvias ssssmooth introduction. After discovering the voice of your inner donkey what fun it will be to find the voice of your inner snake

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger sarariches said...

Thanks to Albert for looking after my animals....I hope they haven;t been too much trouble for him!!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

I think I'm going to have fun with Ssssssyllllviaaaaaa....

I think we need to make a list of all of our animals. I thought Sox was a donkey and he's actually a dog and everyone thinks Albert is also a donkey but he's actually horse.

Albert loves looking after animals. He usually can steal a meal from at least one of them!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home